Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for World Bank Group Recruitment for Sr Governance/Financial Management Specialist. The application deadline is 26th January 2020.
The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans to countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects. It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, and the International Development Association.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Sr Governance/Financial Management Specialist
Job #: req5550
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
- The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
- Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges.
Governance Global Practice
- The Governance Global Practice helps countries build capable, effective, accountable, transparent and inclusive institutions that deliver citizen-centric services, facilitate private-sector growth and build trust in Government.
- Domestic Revenue Mobilization (DRM)/Tax Administration,
- Decentralization and Sub-national Governance, and
- Financial Management Fiduciary Assurance for Bank-financed Operations; as well as three Cross-Cutting Themes: GovTech, Anti-Corruption and Political Economy.
- State-owned Enterprises and Corporate Governance,
- Our work program comprises six core Business Lines:
- Public Financial Management (PFM),
- Public Institutions Reform,
EA2G2 Unit & Program in Nigeria
- The position is focused on providing Financial Management (FM) fiduciary assurance for Bank-financed operations in Nigeria, which comprises one of the largest World Bank portfolios across the world, with net commitments of over US$ 10 billion in operations implemented by over 170 project implementation units across all states.
- As such, the position requires strong hands-on advisory and operational contributions to the fiduciary arrangements of Program for Results (PforRs) and Investment Project Financing (IPF), and strengthening of associated sector FM systems.
- The EA2G2 Unit covers the Governance Global Practice program in Nigeria, Angola, Sao Tome and Principe, and Central African countries (Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Burundi, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, and the Republic of Congo).
- While the overall business climate in Africa is the weakest in the world, several countries including some fragile states have made great strides in improving their environment for business. What is emerging, as a result, is a growing region, with setbacks from time to time, that is increasingly seen as a destination for investment as much as for aid; and one where leaders are increasingly willing to address problems of poor governance that harms development effectiveness.
- The Africa Region, which is comprised of approximately 900 staff members, mostly based in 38 field offices, is committed to helping Africa realize its considerable development potential, with a focus on employment generation.
World Bank Africa Site:
- You will be under the supervision of the Governance Practice Manager for the EA2G2 Unit and will work in coordination with other EA2G2 team members based in HQ and the field, as well as colleagues from Procurement, other Global Practices, Finance & Accounting (Loans),and from the Nigeria Country Management Unit (CMU) – AFCW2.
- Support the Practice Manager in work program discussions, business development and supervising the quality and timeliness of work program deliverables
- Provide high quality FM fiduciary assurance services, including assessing the adequacy of operations’ FM arrangements, providing FM implementation support and supervising operations financed by loans and grants, ensuring compliance with the Bank’s audit and other FM requirements, performing analytical work on FM and accountability issues, and carrying out capacity building activities, all with due attention to quality assurance arrangements.
- Generate and exchange knowledge relating to FM issues.
- Promote effective reliance on country systems as deemed appropriate, greater use of technology for fiduciary due diligence and implementation support, and streamlining of FM and disbursement processes.
- Provide advice and support to other World Bank sector operations and policy dialogue related to sector public financial management systems and institutions.
- Contribute to corporate tasks such as the preparation of country briefs and inputs to thematic notes.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience.
- Directly relevant experience and knowledge in FM fiduciary assurance services.
- Strong knowledge of public financial management systems.
- You will be a professional with solid operational experience on lending and non-lending instruments by the World Bank and / or other multilateral lending institutions, including trust-funded and result-based lending.
- Qualified professional accountant (CPA, CA, ACCA or equivalent membership of an internationally recognized professional accountancy body) with a Master’s degree in accounting, public financial management, finance, or another related field.
- Strong integrative skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Work experience in fragile and conflict-afflicted environments desired.
- Strong experience in the World Bank or other multilateral development banks’ operations.
- Experience in quality control of the outputs of junior staff and consultants.
- Strong team player with the ability to work independently and effectively both remotely and face-to-face.
The World Bank Group Core Competencies:
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Application Deadline: 26th January 2020. (Time – 11:59 pm UTC)