Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) Recruitment for Information Management Associate. The Application deadline is 23rd August 2019.
The United Nations Office for Project Services is an operational arm of the United Nations, dedicated to implementing projects for the United Nations System, international financial institutions, governments and other partners around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Information Management Associate
Vacancy code: VA/2019/B5001/18411
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job categories: IT
Contract level LICA-7
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Department/office: NYSC, Peace and Security Cluster
Duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Peace and Security Cluster
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Head of Cluster is responsible to administer, provide support and oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the Head of Cluster who has the overall authority and accountability for the performance of the Peace and Security Cluster on behalf of its clients.
Background Information – Job-Specific
- UNMAS Nigeria plans, manages and oversees all mine action activities in north-east Nigeria. It provides technical support to all partners and ensures the proper integration of mine action into wider humanitarian assistance and developmental programmes. UNMAS deployed to Nigeria in July 2018.
- The Information Management Associate will be based in Maiduguri in the UNMAS office situated in a UN compound and will work under the direct supervision of the Programme and Communications Officer.
- The Information Management (IM) Associate will coordinate the Information Management System for Mine Action (IMSMA) for UNMAS Nigeria and he/she will be responsible for the following tasks:
Information Management (IM) Responsibilities:
- Ensure proper functioning of IMSMA database including installing and maintaining IMSMA database
- Install IMSMA on partners devices and train partners on its use
- Ensure the accuracy and operational functioning of the designed links of the database
- Create and maintain the file and document management system of the programme
- Create and update IM processes Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Engage with Mine Action partners to obtain information and improve data collecting
- Liaise with partners and represent UNMAS Nigeria in meetings related to the functions
- Make recommendations and provide advice on the technical information management requirements
- Conduct monthly checks of IMSMA reports to ensure completeness, integrity and quality
- Train junior staff on IMSMA and provide remote support to UNMAS programmes
- Verify and record all field data from implementers and partners into the IMSMA database
- Perform quality assurance and related checks during and after data entry
- Produce statistics and reports from the data
- Create and maintain comprehensive soft and hard archive systems
- Update both soft and hard archive systems on weekly basis
Geographic Information System (GIS) Responsibilities:
- Prepare and print informative maps with mine action and other available data
- Maintain and contribute to the operations mapping archive
- Assist with IT and other general computer-related issues
- Contribute to Network Administration
- Assist with Database training and technical assistance to implementing partners and external stakeholders
- Create and update photo catalog of received photos from mine action activities
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Programme and Communications Officer
- Provide reports related to UNMAS Nigeria work plan.
- An advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Information Management, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or related field with a minimum of one year of relevant experience; OR
- A first level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in information management, computer science, Geographic Information Systems or related field with a minimum of three years of relevant experience; OR
- A secondary education degree (High School Diploma or equivalent) and a minimum of seven years of relevant experience
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in information management, computer science, GIS, database management or data collection
- Experience with handling confidential data and understanding of different data collection methodologies is desired
- Experience in web design and software development is desired
- Fluency in English (speaking, writing and reading) is required
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, Level and Duration:
- Contract type : Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level : ICS-7
- Contract duration : (Open-ended) with possible extension subject to funding and satisfactory performance
- For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Candidates with no UN or UNOPS experience are strongly encouraged to apply!
- Open to Nationals or persons with a valid Nigeria residence/work permit
Application Deadline 23rd August 2019.