Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Recruitment for Programme Finance Associate. The Application deadline is 19th September, 2019.
The United Nations Development Programme is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Finance Associate
Job ID: 26010
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Practice Area – Job Family: Crisis Prevention and Recovery – STABILIZATION
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme. The Sub-Office (SO) for North East (NE) Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results
- Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Finance Analyst, the Programme Finance Associate ensures effective execution of financial services and processes in the Sub-Office and transparent utilization of financial resources. The Programme Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
- The Programme Finance Associate plays in key role in ensuring sound financial management for the project activities in the NE Region. The Programme Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Project Teams in the NE Sub-Office, Operations, Programme, Management Support and Business Development staff in the CO and UNDP HQ and the projects’ staff for resolving finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Administration and implementation of programme/operations and financial management strategies
- Support to management of the Sub-office programme, administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system.
- Accounting, finance and administrative support
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures administration and implementation of programme/operations and financial management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and other relevant policies on financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Provision of inputs for implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office management.
- Preparation of cost sharing, and trust fund agreements, follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
Provides effective support to management of the Sub-office programmes/projects, administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of information for formulation of country programme work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities. Entry of data of new grants into Atlas in the form of Annual Work Plans (AWPs), monitoring of their status.
- Provision of guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Accuracy verification of Combined Delivery Reports.
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
- Preparation of reports.
- Assists in the preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by, elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
- Provision of information for the audit of NIM/DIM projects, implementation of audit recommendations.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for development projects through monitoring of budgets preparation and modifications
Provides accounting and administrative support to the Sub-Office Service Center focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NIM/DIM projects; preparation of PO and non-PO vouchers for development projects.
- Approval of vendors in Atlas (if a senior member of the Finance team).
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
- Tracking and reporting of mobilized resources by performing the following tasks if assigned to the Sub-Office Operation Manager.
- Review signed cost-sharing contribution agreements and trust fund agreements.
- Enter Agreement information into Contracts Module.
- Bill a donor through Contracts Module.
- Maintain contributions/receivables documentation
- Apply cash receipt to the proper revenue source / fund or project
- Attach copy of the signed agreement in Atlas
- Create Billing Plan in Contracts Module.
- Create Revenue Plan and establish Milestones in Contracts Module.
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas. Preparation of financial reports as required.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Sub-office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Systematic gaining and sharing of knowledge and experience related to programme management.
- Organization of training for the office staff on programme/operations related issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall Sub-office efficiency in programme financial resources management and success in implementation of programme/operations strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
- Maintains databases
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting).
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Secondary education with certification in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test required
- 7 years of progressively responsible financial management experience is required, with knowledge of programme or project finance desirable.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization, notably with UN/UNDP, is highly desirable
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required.
- Fluent in spoken and written English is required.
- The ability to communicate in Kanuri, Hausa, or any other local language spoken in the NE region is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 19th September, 2019. (Midnight New York, USA)