Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Recruitment for Field Safety Associate . The application deadline is 28th January, 2019.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) also called UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. It was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. They had three years to complete their work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, their organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Job Title: Field Safety Associate
Position Number: 10030865
Location: Ogoja – Cross River State
Category: Field Security
Grade: GS – 6
Duration of Contract: One Year
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
- The Security Associate manages and supports activities pertaining to staff security. The incumbent will be supervised by the Senior Field Security Adviser on technical aspects, and the Head of Sub-Office who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance.
- The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners in the area to facilitate the operation.
- The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues.
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; assist the supervisor during field missions to gather information and analyse the security situation.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place, especially those comprising Security Risk Management; check for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies/ requirements for the guard force.
- Assist in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
- Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
- Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
- Perform radio room duties by assisting in the tracking of staff on road mission, conduct periodic radio checks in the absence of radio operator at the duty station
- Supervise and monitor security Guards at UNHCR premises
- Attend to security incidents/accidents that involves UNHCR staff and report accordingly
- Assist the Senior Field Security Advisor in the preparation and update of Staff tracking, Security Warden System and security plans (fire, evacuation, medical etc.) for UNHCR staff and/or at any other location where determined.
- Conduct Security briefing for new Staff as required
- Work in close collaboration with UNHCR security colleagues in the field outside Cross River.
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head of office and/or the Senior Field Security Advisor
- Completion of secondary education with relevant training and experience in security and safety issues. Military or Police background preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years (6 with advanced training/certificate) of previous relevant job experience.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Ability to work in a team under pressure with minimum supervision; good analytic and training skills, organized and good sense of initiative.
- Be professional, discrete, organized, flexible and available at short notice.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Good knowledge of areas within the field office territory.
- Good computer skills – (MS Word; MS Excel; MS PPT).
- Excellent knowledge of local security apparatus.
- Sensitive to and good knowledge of the local culture.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
- United Nations experience in the field of security an asset.
- Graduation from Military or Police Academy.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should . Or submit application, resume and Personal history form (P11) via email to: quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position (VERY IMPORTANT).
Application Deadline: 28th January, 2019.