Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Recruitment for Assistant Field Officer.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) also called UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. It was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. They had three years to complete their work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, their organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Assistant Field Officer
Job ID: 20631
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Salary Grade: NA
Hardship Level: E
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Assistant Field Officer is normally supervised by the Senior Field Coordinator or Field Officer or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office depending on the structure of the Office
- S/he also has close liaison with a range of local civilian and military authorities and counterparts in NGOs and UN agencies to discuss matters of common interest.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description
- They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks
- S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/regional programme(s)
- UNHCR Manual, programme and protection objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the incumbent.
- The incumbent does not normally have any direct supervisory role. S/he has daily contacts with staff in the various field offices and with the functional units at the Country/Regional Office
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assess the needs of persons of concern in the AoR and formulate project submissions in collaboration with district authorities and implementing partners.
- Promote and monitor the implementation of assistance projects.
- Keep track of cases of detention; register applicants for voluntary repatriation and family reunion.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly sectoral reports and submit material for preparation of periodic project monitoring reports and year-end reports.
- Submit recommendation for protection interventions to the designated officer.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Report regularly on rate of flow of new arrivals and estimate expected influx based on interviews with persons of concern.
- In co-ordination with implementing partners, assist with the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P1 / NOA 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate Degree; or no experience with Graduate Degree; or no experience with Doctorate Degree.
Field(s) of Education:
- Law, Political Sciences or other relevant field.
- (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential).
Certificates and / or Licenses:
- UNHCR Protection Learning Programme
- UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience:
- Field experience.
- Knowledge of refugee law.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR’s programmes.
- PG-Experience with coordinating with Implementing Partners (Government/INGO/NGO/Corporate)
- IT-Computer Literacy
- PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
- PG-Results-Based Management
- UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- PG-UNHCR’s Programmes
- EX-Experience in an international capacity.
- PG-Resource Planning; eg. FOCUS, Global Focus Insight
- IT-MS Office Applications
- BU-PeopleSoft EPM/Budget
- FI-PeopleSoft Financial Management
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, short-listing and selection of candidates.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Cross-Functional Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
- A written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees)
Application Deadline; 11:59 pm, 2nd July 2020.