Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) Recruitment for West Africa Business Development Manager. The Application deadline is 22nd March, 2019.
Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: West Africa Business Development Manager
Reference ID: 104328BR
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Skillpool group: Commercial and Retail
Purpose & Accountabilities
- New Energies, established in 2016, is an Emerging Opportunity for Shell, with potential for growth. New Energies is focused on New Fuels and Power. We are building our New Fuels portfolio around our existing activities in low-carbon biofuels and hydrogen; we are exploring investments in Power with a view to becoming an integrated power player in certain markets.
- Our approach to providing electricity focuses on meeting the needs of our commercial, industrial and residential customers through our activities in power generation, trading, and supply, as well as our ability to optimise supply and demand.
- We are also working to develop low-carbon energy sources such as wind and solar, along with natural gas. We are developing models to help customers better manage their energy use, while at the same time looking at commercial opportunities to bring power to remote communities. Our approach is to manage our exposure to this new business while establishing scale.
- Our Energy Access business is actively pursuing commercial investment opportunities in energy access in Africa and Asia. Our primary focus is on proven technologies delivered through scalable and replicable commercial business models that can open and accelerate the market for decentralised energy access solutions. The growing demand for decentralised energy solutions, combined with the increasing maturity of innovative business models, presents a commercial opportunity for Shell. We have an investment in the following portfolio companies to date:
- Husk Power Systems Inc: Husk is a leading mini-grid company with extensive experience in India having operated in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh for almost 10 years.
- SolarNow BV: SolarNow provides decentralised solar energy solutions to off grid and weak grid customers in East Africa.
- Steama Company Limited (SteamaCo): SteamaCo is an off-grid smart metering technology company, providing utilities in frontier markets with the hardware, connectivity and software tools to automate management of decentralized energy assets.
- Sunfunder: SunFunder, a solar debt financing firm that supports the growth of commercial businesses improving energy access.
- Governance and management of portfolio companies (typically non-operated ventures), combined with the ability to leverage the broader Shell Nigeria and New Energies organisations and capabilities to support portfolio companies where appropriate.
- Engage and coordinate across different organisations (internally and externally) that are involved in or have an interest in Energy Access. This requires effective stakeholder engagement skills.
- Maintain strong links to the broader Shell commercial community and share best practices.
- Deal origination and deal delivery in West Africa; the role will involve all aspects of origination, deal structuring, negotiation, due diligence through to deal completion.
- Market/segment selection, generation and evaluation of leads for viable partnerships, projects and platform investments, establishing relationships with potential counterparties and finding a deal space.
- Leading and supporting deals, co-ordinating multi-disciplinary teams and investment decision making processes, taking accountability for deal workstreams such as due diligence.
- Strategy development for the Energy Access portfolio approach in West Africa and providing regional expertise to support broader strategic initiatives with other parts of the Shell group (including social investment and energy transition teams).
- Shell is building a commercial Energy Access business largely through partnerships and investments in commercial enterprises that have proven business models and the potential for scale.
- The West Africa Business Development Manager will be part of the global Energy Access team focused on developing new investment opportunities and supporting existing with the governance of existing portfolio companies
- The role requires an ability to operate effectively in a rapidly evolving, highly competitive and fast-paced external environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 22nd March, 2019.