Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for Secours Islamique France (SIF) Recruitment for Protection Officer. The Application deadline is 12th May 2019.
Secours Islamique France (SIF) is a Non-Governmental Organization of international solidarity based in France. Founded in 1991, SIF is a non-profit and non-political organization dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest people. SIF acts wherever humanitarian and social needs require the mobilization of emergency relief and/or implementation of development programs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno with visits
Line Manager: Program Officer
Line Manager + 1: Head of Mission
Duration of Contract: 3 month with to project locations possible extension
- In Nigeria, SIF provides assistance for both urgent basic needs for those displaced by violence as well as longer-term support for returnees and IDPs in protracted displacement settings.
- Our current programme includes NFI, shelter, WASH assistance, livelihoods support, protection activities delivered through multi-purpose community centers as well as refugee camps.
Role within the Organization
- Under the supervision of the Program officer, the Protection Officer is primarily responsible for implementing the protection intervention activities in the camp. S/he will be required to work closely with the program officer with oversight from the Head of mission.
- Protection Officer work closely with other SIF functional departments including logistics and Finance to ensure proper implementation of SIF project while maintaining full compliance with established policies and procedures.
- The Protection Officer will directly supervise the protection working committee in the camp.
The Protection Officer is under the Program Officer’ responsibility for all operational aspects, he also works in close cooperation with all the team. Under the responsibility of Program Officer and Head of Mission the Protection Officer’ tasks will be (but not limited to):
Objective 1: Provide support to SIF Program Officer to implement protection intervention in the camp
- Oversee detailed planning and implementation of protection activities in collaboration with program officer and Head of mission
- Identify project implementation modalities that enhance partnership & coordination with government official and local communities, internal integration within sectors and other programs (WASH, NFIs, FSL etc.)
- Identify areas of cross-program linkages with other SIF programs in the camp. Ensure project quality and adherence to project objectives, including respect of SIF technical guidelines, systems, and established deadlines
- In close coordination with the program officer and Head of the mission, protection officer will reinforce and coordinate regular project monitoring activities, i.e. baseline, pdm, endline, etc.
- Contribute to organizational and sector-wide learning through good quality documentation of lessons learned, best practices, evaluations etc.
- Assist the project officer in preparing internal and external reports for SIF and the community, including case studies and success stories.
Objective 2: Project implementation Function
- Identify gaps in service provision to Internal Displaced persons in the camp, with a special attention to children and women and proactively bridging those gabs and where necessary, referring and advocating for those gaps to relevant actors in the camp.
- Together with relevant stake holders and camp management, ensure vulnerability of the identified and registered children and women are responded to involvement of the community where appropriate ensuring the best interest.
- Support in capacity building of the protection committee volunteers in the camp on GBV guiding principles and concepts.
- Contribute to the effective implementation of GBV training modules and development of Information Education Materials (IEC) curricula with other actors.
- In close collaboration with implementing partners/complementary partners keep track of incident reports, monitor referrals for GBV survivors to appropriate actors.
- Represent organization in Gender-Based Violence Sub-Cluster Working Group (GBVSWGs) and Protection Sub-Cluster Working Group (PSWG) meetings as needed.
- Provide inputs in formulation of Women Friendly Spaces (WFSs)/Dignity Kits/ and Case Management Guidelines.
Objective 3: Ensure tracking and reporting of technical activities for protection Intervention
- Compile weekly protection program technical reports with an overview of activities and contextual updates, and quantitative indicator follow-up and submit to Program officer for consolidation.
- In close collaboration with program officer, Review reports and gauge project progress against logical framework, ensuring compliance with SIF internal and donor’s reporting standards.
- Assist project officer in designing work plan and detail implementation plan for protection intervention in the camp
- Review with project officer and HOM and validate procurement requests for protection intervention needs before submission to the logistics department.
- In coordination with the project officer, follow up logistics requirements in coordination with the Admin and Logistics Coordinator
- In collaboration with program officer, Ensure that all project -related data and information is correct and of high quality, updated, organized and accessible to the program, HQ and other key stakeholders, and that lessons learnt and best practice are documented.
- Facilitate and support systematic monitoring and evaluation of activities under the direct supervision of program officer
- Assist the project officer in developing activity progress reports as well as contribute to the development of donor reports.
Objective 4: Participate in regular internal and external coordination for the project at Camp level and at the state level when required
- Represent SIF at the camp level and local government level
- Represent SIF at State Emergency Working groups (OCHA, INGO Consortium) when required by the project officer.
- Undertake additional coordination as requested by the project officer and HOM.
Internal & External Relationships
- Project Officer: Direct line management, coordinate activities and reporting
- HOM: technical oversight, coaching, Technical supervisor, technical support, advice on strategic issues, exchange of information
- Admin Coordinator: exchange of information, support the administrative and finance aspect of the project, reporting, collaboration, coordination
- Logistics Coordination: exchange of information, collaboration, coordination, support logistics aspect of the project
- Participate actively in North East Emergency Working Group: GBV Working Group, OCHA meetings, INGO forum,
- Local and state government: Engage with stakeholders in coordination with Program officer
- Degree in Law, Social Work, Human Rights, or related Degree preferred;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of implementing protection programs preferable social work or case management, in humanitarian or development settings;
- Excellent team and project management representation competencies;
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word);
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa is preferred;
- Commitment to SIF mission, values, and policy;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English, including report development, writing and editing;
- Strong facilitation skills with participatory methodologies;
- Positive, respectful attitude and collaborative approach to problem-solving;
- Demonstrate attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meets deadlines, work independently and cooperatively with other team members.
- Demonstrated understanding of working with children, women, men, survivors and particularly vulnerable children and women;
- Personal qualities: Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well and work in a cross-cultural setting;
- Good knowledge of project cycle management;
- Good knowledge of community-based approach, survivor-centered approach and Do no harm principles;
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive;
- Flexibility, Organisation skills, Sense of responsibilities, Analysis and coordination skills, Good interpersonal skills, Ready to listen to people, Capacity to prioritize, Open-mindedness and common sense, Strong humanitarian motivation.
- The position is based in Maiduguri with frequent visits to project locations
The tasks described in this job description are not exhaustive or limited. Due to the nature of the mission and the organization, the Protection Officer may be requested to perform further tasks related to his responsibilities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application along with an up-to-date CV + a cover letter (including 3 referees with their current official contacts) by email to: email@example.com The email subject line should be marked: “Protection Officer”.
- Please mention clearly in the e-mail, Cover Letter and CV your name in consecutive order: Your First name; Surname and Other names.
- Please do NOT attach in your application copy of your certificates, diplomas and other education background documents. We’ll request them if you are shortlisted.
- Kindly please note if the above mentioned will not be followed then your application is not be taken into consideration
Application Deadline 12th May 2019.