Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for REACH International Recruitment for Senior Field Officer.
REACH International was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Field (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process.
Job Title: Senior Field Officer
Locations: Adamawa, Borno, Yobe
Position to start: 1st Quarter, 2019
Contract Duration: 6 months
The REACH Senior Field Officer shall be responsible for:
- Leading of field teams
- Data management
- Research and analysis
- Logistics management
- External relations support
Leading of field teams:
- The REACH Senior Field Officer will lead field teams comprised of Field Officers, Field Assistants, and teams of enumerators up to 10 individuals. They will directly manage Field Officers, Field Assistants and their enumeration teams and be responsible for managing data collection activities and guiding the teams through REACH standard weekly meetings and work plans. They will support the REACH Assessment/ GIS Officers/Field Manager as needed, and are the key focal point for reporting and communicating field team progress.
- The REACH Senior Field Officer will manage quantitative and qualitative data collected by the REACH field team.
- They will support and manage data cleaning, ensure datasets are properly stored onto the Dropbox server, and enter textual data into spreadsheets or databases for easier tracking and analysis as necessary.
- They will ensure qualitative data collected is properly transcribed and stored onto the Dropbox server.
Research and analysis:
- The REACH Senior Field Officer will be responsible for conducting analyses on the quantitative and qualitative data collected by their field teams and help provide a synthesized understanding of needs and conditions in their H2R areas of focus.
- This may include leading focus group discussions, transcribing and translating FGD transcripts, conducting coding and qualitative analysis as is possible in reference to the capacities of other team members.
- They will conduct other analysis tasks as required by the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager.
- The REACH Senior Field Officer will be responsible for logistics for their field teams during data collection activities by coordinating vehicle transport, accommodation, and the team’s schedule.
- They will provide work plans and schedules as necessary to the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager, and are responsible for coordinating all of their activities with these same people.
- They will also provide support in organizing movement of REACH teams to and from field locations and identifying accommodations and office space.
External relations support:
- The REACH Senior Field Officer will be the primary face of REACH in the field, representing REACH with partners and liaising with appropriate government authorities to ensure REACH can conduct activities as needed.
- They are responsible for properly representing REACH in all interactions and managing the external interactions of Field Officers and Field Assistants.
- They are responsible for developing and maintaining contacts in their field locations who can both assist REACH data collection efforts and benefit from receiving REACH products.
- The REACH Senior Field Officer will participate in other, undefined tasks that are necessary to support the REACH mission in Nigeria.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies.
- They will also be responsible with printing and delivering REACH products directly to those providing REACH with the data.
- This is the responsibility of every ACTED staff member.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively more responsible experience in humanitarian or development organizations, preferably in a field-based position
- Willingness and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced field environment for extended periods of the time required
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (social science, development) required
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong technical writing skills
- Excellent experience using ODK for quantitative data collection
- Some experience creating ODK questionnaires, or ability to learn rapidly
- Considerable experience hiring and managing casual laborers
- Considerable experience guiding and managing field teams
- Considerable experience conducting and transcribing focus group discussions
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP settlements an asset
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Hausa required
- Ability to work independently.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should to apply.