The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA Salary Structure is quite similar to other federal government agencies. NIMASA is under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Transport. Just like every other agency under the Ministry of Transport, NIMASA has a consolidated salary scale.
About the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency
The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) is the apex regulatory and promotional maritime agency. The Agency was created from the merger of National Maritime Authority and Joint Maritime Labour Industrial Council (former parastatals of the Federal Ministry of Transport) on the 1st August 2006.
The Agency was established primarily for the administration of Maritime Safety Seafarers Standards and Security, Maritime Labour, Shipping Regulation, Promotion of Commercial Shipping and Cobatage activities, Pollution Prevention and Control in the marine environment, the Agency also implements domesticated International Maritime Organization (IMO) and International Labour Organization (ILO) Conventions.Core Functions
- Pursue the development of shipping and regulatory matters relating to merchant shipping and seafarers.
- Administration and regulation of shipping licenses.
- Administration, Regulation and Certification of Seafarers.
- Establishment of Maritime Training and Safety Standards
- Regulation of safety of shipping as regards the construction of ships and navigation.
- Provision of Maritime Search and Rescue Services
- Provide direction and ensure compliance with vessels security measures
- Carry out Air and Coastal Surveillance
- Control and prevent Maritime Pollution
- Develop and implement policies and programs, which will facilitate the growth of local capacity in ownership, manning and construction of ships and other maritime infrastructure.
- Enhance and administer the provision of Cabotage Act. 2003
- Perform Port and Flag State duties.
- Provide Maritime Security.
- Establish the procedure for the implementation of conventions of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the International Labour Organization (ILO), and other international conventions to which the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a party on Maritime Safety and Security, Maritime Labour, Commercial Shipping, and for the implementation of Codes, Resolutions and Circulars arising there from.
READ ALSO: NIMASA Recruitment Portal.
The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA Salary Structure
The NIMASA salary structure is solely based on the grade level and is paid based on the Consolidated Research and Allied institutes (CONRAISS) Salary Scale.
Staff on Grade Level 7 Step 1 earn about N1,073, 217 per annum (before deductions). That is about N89,400 per month.
Staff on Grade Level 8 Step 1 earn about N1,247, 854 per annum (before deductions). That is about N103,900 per month.
NIMASA is one of the top 100 government agencies and an important player in the field of economic growth of the country. Therefore, despite some difficulties, the agency is nevertheless recognized as a good place to work.
NIMASA offers a large range of vacancies. The entry-level employees in NIMASA can earn as pver 100 000 Naira per month including bonuses. Among most required job positions there are Senior Marine Officer, Marine Engineering Trainee, Signalman, Assistant Manager of Harbours.