There have been a lot of debates about the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS salary structure, and ranks. In 2007 the Federal Government of Nigeria announces an increase in the salary scale of the Nigeria Customs alongside other top government agencies.
On that note, there have been a lot of search queries about the Nigeria Customs Service Salary Structure.
Some of those search queries include;
- How much does custom officer earn?
- Nigeria Customs ranks
- Nigeria Customs Service Salary
- Average Salary for Custom Officer
- Nigeria Customs Ranks and their Salaries etc.
But before we address these queries, it is important to note that the new salary structure for Para-military personnel is known as the Consolidated Para-military Salary Structure (CONPASS), which sees an increase in basic salary and allowances for Nigerian customs officers and all Para-military organizations. This is different from the Nigerian army salary, Airforce and the Navy.
Before we go into the Nigeria Customs Salary Structure and Scale, let’s tell you a little bit about the Nigeria Customs Service.
Mission of the Nigeria Customs Service
- Nigeria Customs Service is a reference and model administration with excellence in providing effective and efficient service to accomplish all dimensions of its mission.
- That the Service is a modern, compact and dynamic Service that influences policy and contributes to Nigeria development.
- That the Service is recognized as being in the vanguard of Customs best practices and international standards.
Core Functions of the Nigeria Customs Service
- Collection of Revenue i.e. Import and Excise Duties and Accounting for same.
- Prevention and suppression of smuggling.
More about NCS can be gotten from their official website:
Nigeria Customs Service, NCS Salary Structure
The Nigeria Custom salary structure varies depending on the rank.
- The least paid Custom Inspector earns a total salary of N29,779 per month which could increase by N4,000 if the rent subsidy is included. This subsidy is only applicable if the officer is not provided with housing or accommodation by the Federal Government.
- An average salary of an NCS officer is estimated at N900,000 per annum, which translate to N75,000 per month.
- The highest salary package is received by the Controller-General of Customs, the second highest goes to the Deputy Controller Generals, and Assistant Controller Generals.
Read Also: Nigeria Customs Service Recruitment Portal.
Apart from the basic salaries paid to Custom officers, there are some mouth watering bonuses which they are entitled to. The items consolidated with the basic salary are transport allowance and meal subsidy.
Other allowances consolidated in it also include the following:
- Utility allowance
- Hazards allowance
- House maintenance allowance
- Uniform maintenance allowance G
- General Services allowance
- Torchlight allowance
- Detective allowance.
- Hardiness allowance
- Plain-Cloth allowance
- Furniture allowance
- Personal Servant
It is worthy of note that not all customs officers are entitled to this allowances. Some of them are only given to specific members of staff of the Nigerian Customs Services. This is so because not all NCS officers are involved in the duties and tasks that attract some of these allowances.
It must be noted that some amount received as allowances differs from one cadre to another.
Outside the salaries and allowances received by officers of the Nigeria Customs Service, some for them do collect kickbacks from individuals who import certain contraband items into Nigeria.
However, this act is deemed illegal and the Nigerian Government totally frowns at it.