Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Mercy Corps Recruitment for Operations Officer. The application deadline is 8th February, 2019.
Mercy Corps is a global non-governmental, humanitarian aid organization operating in transitional contexts that have undergone, or have been undergoing, various forms of economic, environmental, social and political instabilities. .
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Operations Officer
Location: Potiskum, Yobe with 50% travel
Position Status: Full-time; Regular
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation
- With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
- The Operations Officer provides day-to-day support to the program operations in Potiskum under the direct supervision of the Field Manager
- As part of his/her responsibilities, the Operations Officer will undertake tasks under procurement, administration, logistics and security working in close collaboration with the finance and program teams
- S/he will promptly and effectively provide all required support to programs so to deliver assistance to beneficiaries in a timely, compliant and transparent manner.
- Lead Mercy Corps daily Procurement Activities in Potiskum to meet program and country mission objectives in a timely manner and in accordance with Mercy Corps guidelines and donor regulations
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats
- Provide training to new staff on these policies and provided refresher training as the gap in staff knowledge are identified
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests (PR) and other documentation
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s with support from Field Manager in Potiskum – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats
- Conduct regular market survey at least every quarter
- Conduct Preferred Supplier process for Accommodation, stationary and other repetitive requests
- Maintains PR Master Lists and shares with staff on weekly bases
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms
- Ensures fair competition and strictly adhere to Mercy Corps procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described by Mercy Corps
- Ensures that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Mercy Corps standards
- Maintains and updates the procurement files.
- Read and have a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual and all procedures
- Assists the Asset Controller with asset management
- Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets
- Participate in regular assets inventory and checks
- Ensure that all the assets are maintained and in good condition
- Check assets stickers regularly
- Maintain inventories of Mercy Corps premises (non-expandable properties) conduct regular checks (quarterly)
- Advise Operations Manager Biu on any broken, damaged or destroyed equipment.
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Fleet Management Policy Guidelines
- Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy
- Ensure that all vehicles have proper on-board vehicle documentation
- Schedule vehicle uses to meet programmatic and operational needs
- Ensure Vehicle Authorization is approved before leaving Mercy Corps Office
- Oversees the vehicles movement plans
- Maintains vehicles documentation, including log sheets, repairs logs and schedules
- Monitors vehicles fuel consumption
- Oversees the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the servicing schedule.
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Field Administration Manual and all procedures
- Liaises with Operations Director on the renewal of office rental agreements;
- Establishes and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence
- Receive and dispatch mail
- Ensures that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies
- Ensures that the office has sufficient office supplies
- Co-ordinates any other necessary administrative and office management details
- Makes all necessary travel and lodging arrangements for Gombe visitors
- Oversee the management of office consumable (office materials like: stationary, cleaning & hygiene,): that will include: collecting the requests on monthly bases, maintaining the stock, monitoring the use
- Facility management (cleaning, equipment repairs, utilities, water supply, green office considerations, facility keys management etc.)
- Administrating communication, ensuring internet, printers are working, the staff has enough phone credit
- Collect HR related documentation and liaise with the Abuja office on HR tasks
- Monitor the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the service schedule
- Monitor generator fuel consumption
- Responsible for oversight of vehicle rentals including tracking of leases and payment.
Operations Management – Security:
- To act as the office Security Focal Point
- If needed, conduct security risk assessments of core operational features and record and report findings
- To ensure that compound guards remain an effective and credible deterren
- To ensure through comprehensive briefings, that all staff and visitors to are fully appraised of the risks, the prevailing security situation and any security procedures
- To manage and maintain all security communications equipment.
- Carries out other duties as assigned
- The Operations Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Drivers, cleaner, cook and Security Guard.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Manual, guidelines, policies and procedures; the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
- Reports Directly to: Field Manager
- Works Directly With: operations, program and finance Team members in Potiskum & Abuja
- A relevant First Degree in Business or Arts is desired
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in operations (logistics, procurement), preferably within an NGO; international business or related field. Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Knowledge of local languages is required
- Strong computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement
- Demonstrated attention to details
- Ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work comfortably with ethnically diversified team members
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Proved organizational skills
- A demonstrated an ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities. A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- The successful candidate will have an initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, culinary skills and proven experience
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions
- The position is based in Potiskum, Yobe State and it requires up to 50 % travel to field offices in and around Potiskum.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Application Deadline: 8th February 2019.