Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for The International Rescue Committee (IRC) Recruitment for Finance Assistant.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s emergency response team, with local partner CISCOPE (civil society coalition for poverty eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi state from February to May 2013. This was followed by 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014. IRC has been supporting programs in Adamawa state early 2014 and expanded into Maiduguri in late 2015. The headquarters for IRC Nigeria is in Abuja city and provide support for the field office from the head office.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Requisition ID: req4816
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
- Under the supervision of the Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant handles all cash payments and collections outside the office and recording the cash account on a daily basis.
Cash and Bank payment processing:
- Maintain Naira cash book at the set limits; take responsibility of any cash differences arising.
- Ensure that all cash payments are properly supported and duly authorized per the IRC delineation schedule before disbursement.
- Ensure all cash received is duly receipted and coded and promptly banked
- Each month stamp original documents “PAID or RECEVED BY IRC” before sending to Abuja.
- Maintain bank information file
- To act as a bank agent for the Monguno Base Office.
- Collection of bank statements from the bank on a monthly basis.
- Ensuring that authorizations on the requests for payments are in line with the approved limits per the delineation chart
- Prepare the cash spreadsheets to upload stage ready for review by the FM prior to upload in SUN system.
- Performing supervised cash counts every Fridays.
- Maintaining the receipt book and ensuring that authorized receipts are issued upon receipt of monies
- Ensure checks in the register are recorded sequentially. Separate the Naira and USD checks to maintain sequence.
- Diligent follow-up to ensure fully signed checks are collected by vendors and signed for (ensuring proper identification of the person collecting) and details indicated in the checks release register.
- Provide timely update to supervisor on reason for uncollected checks.
- Prior to filing ensure that all documents have been stamped ‘PAID’ including the check number details.
- Maintain an organized and well-documented (all files must be labeled properly and visibly) and sequential filing system for all cash disbursement vouchers
- To be willing and ready to participate in field staff exchange programs as organized by the FM.
- Attend and participate in trainings identified/organized by your supervisor
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director
- All files should be arranged sequentially and in separately designated filing sites for checks SDG & USD
- Archiving of prior years finance documents as instructed by the FC or FM.
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor
Key Contacts/working relationships.
- Reports to the Finance Officer
- Regular and open communication with IRC staff from all departments and field offices.
- Represents the country office with external banks.
- Diploma in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance
- Minimum one-year experience in the financial area of a non-profit organization.
- Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems, standard spreadsheet and database programs, preferably SUN systems and visions.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good written and verbal skills in the English language.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support.
- Good communication skills that function across a diversity of cultures.
- Good at the role of facilitator and a team player in solving problems.
- The position offers programmable workload with quarterly travel to sub-offices to review/update accounting systems and train staff in the field.
- The positions is located in Monguno Base Office – situated in northeast Nigeria.
- Decision Making Authority: None
Core Values and Critical Competencies:
- Excellent communication skills
- Proactive and reliable
- Stress tolerance
- Planning and organization skills
- Building partnership
- Attention to detail
- Able to work with limited supervision
- Cautious and attentive
- Improvement mindset
- Team player
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply