Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for International Organization for Migration (IOM) Recruitment for Senior Project Assistant (MM/M&E). The Application deadline is 26th March, 2019.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Assistant (MM/M&E)
SVN No. : SVN2019/21
Organizational Unit : Migration Management -Programme Support
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016).
- In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”).
- Complementing this programme, IOM is also planning to implement additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity, and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help to improve the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach.
- This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
- The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
- Working under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, Migration Management (MM) Lagos, and the direct supervision of the Programme Support Officer (MM/PS), Lagos, the successful candidate will contribute to the planning, monitoring and evaluation of activities under the Migration Management Unit, Nigeria:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- With overall guidance from the Project Manager, Migration Management and direct supervision of the Program Support Officer, and in close coordination with the MMU sub-unit focal points, the incumbent will take part in the development of the Migrant Protection and Assistance (MPA) sub-unit’s overall framework and tools for project monitoring and evaluation, including for the monthly, quarterly and annual programmes/project reviews, in accordance with the IOM’s M&E guidelines and policies;
- Provide support to relevant field counterparts including information management (IM)/Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) colleagues to implement the process of monitoring targets and indicators using agreed M&E Frameworks and work plans, including application of standardized M&E tools and facilitate and guide their application within the project area of responsibility.
- Provide technical support to project focal points in the Migration Management unit in monitoring and evaluation related efforts, including ensuring data entry is timeously done, accurate, and reliable, whilst respecting IOM’s data protection principles and suggesting innovative solutions to meet challenges faced in data collection.
- Carry out field and monitoring visits to the beneficiaries’ sites including communities where community development, training, and awareness raising initiatives are taking place.
- Assist project focal points in regularly updating the M&E tools by the gathering quantitative and qualitative data/information on project activities.
- Support regular M&E coaching sessions for colleagues and partners in the field to promote adherence to agreed standards of implementation; create greater awareness of reporting requirements; encourage widespread use of appropriate data collection methods; and gather feedback regarding the effectiveness of these methods;
- Consolidate and analyse data on programme implementation and indicators and reports any issue to the supervisor
- Develop beneficiary profile, needs assessment formats, ensure regular update, information on rehabilitation, and reintegration beneficiaries is stored and managed in the return and reintegration database.
- Draft, consolidate and review monitoring reports to be shared with relevant stakeholders, including the collection and preparation of (visual) data through ad-hoc and period M&E reports, considering disaggregated gender data of the beneficiaries.
- Submit monthly monitoring reports on time.
- Undertake duty travel to challenging areas when necessary, including monitoring visits to beneficiaries’ areas.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree from an accredited institution in Project Management, Economics, Management and Statistics or related field;
- Minimum of six years (four years for degree holders) relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation of programmes related to migration management, particularly counter human trafficking, return and reintegration, direct assistance to vulnerable migrants including victims of trafficking;
- Project management experience and expertise required, preferably in counselling, stakeholder management, data analytics and human relations
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation – with specific experience in project development, data analysis, knowledge management, monitoring and evaluation in the non-profit sector
- Excellent data presentation skills, writing and analytical skills;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint;
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2019/22 Lagos. Finance Assistant G5
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 26th March, 2019.