Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Heartland Alliance International (HAl) Recruitment for Psychologist.
Heartland Alliance International (HAl) is the global arm of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in Chicago for more than 125 years. HAl implements programs in nearly a dozen countries on a range of global human rights issues, providing mental health and psychosocial services, access to justice for survivors of conflict or abuse, and high-quality stigma-free healthcare. .
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Psychologist
Req ID: 5856
Position type: Full Term
Employment Type: Regular
Salary Schedule: International
Reports to: Senior Clinical Advisor
Contract duration: April 15, 2019 – September 30, 2019
- This position provides specialized services to staff and participants of the HAI-Nigeria Program.
- The employee in this position will provide consultation and counselling for individuals and group as needed. He/She will make referral for further therapy.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides consultation on a twice weekly basis to ensure in depth problem solving and quality assurance of overall clinical care.
- Provides consultation on a weekly basis regarding individual and group psychotherapy programming, as needed, as determined by the program model.
- Participates in program meetings and presents at clinical case reviews
- Develops and maintains relationships with external providers. Participates in external reviews of participant care if needed.
- Engages in ongoing professional development by attending seminars, workshops, and conferences.
- Provides clinical mentorship for the treatment team.
- Adheres to professional standards as outlined by governmental bodies, Provides periodic evaluative reviews and/or in-house and external staff training to ensure that staff understands and continue to adhere to such standards. Initiates requests for assistance or guidance from Supervisor to address new issues or complex concepts affecting adherence to professional standards.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Reports to supervisor and program manager on consultations and trainings.
- Coordinates and collaborates with staff on potential participants to be referred to therapy.
- Participates in participant reviews as per Quality Improvement Plan.
- Participates in advocacy, crisis intervention, counseling and problem solving in a variety of areas for program participants.
- Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship within the professional standards and confidentiality laws.
- Develops, implements, and follows-up with participant treatment plans to ensure that realistic goals are being set and accomplished.
- Maintains documentation of individual and group therapy participants.
- Maintains the volume of work designated by program standards and utilizes mental health theory and concepts in clinical practice.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology or equivalent clinical degree and four to five years of clinical practice experience in either a hospital, community mental health setting, private practice, or educational setting, providing group and/or individual therapy. Supervisory experience preferred.
- PhD in Psychology will be an added advantage
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Licensed Clinical Psychologist preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee may be required to remain on Organization premises during breaks and/or meal periods and may be required to stay on Organization premises until their replacement arrives.
- The employee is required to travel regularly to often insecure and limited-resource environments.
- The employee will be required to work directly with populations that are vulnerable and at high risk of HIV and Human rights violation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should