Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) Recruitment.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Research Associate, EatSafe
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: D3 – Associate
Travel required: 30%
- The USAID-funded EatSafe: Evidence and Action Towards Safe, Nutritious Food program will be implemented by a consortium led by GAIN with the goal of generating evidence and knowledge of the potential of increased consumer demand for safe food to substantially improve the safety of nutritious foods in informal market settings in low- and middle-income countries.
- The EatSafe Research Associate will contribute to and support research efforts, identify and liaise with local research counterparts, and provide technical support for project activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Work closely with colleagues to implement the project’s research activities (e.g., finalization of research design; help design, format, and ensure translation of research tools; support training for data collection; supervise data collection activities; verify data quality)
- Work closely with local research partners to ensure all research activities are completed as planned, on time, and with high quality
- Ensure all research permissions are sought and received before the commencement of research activities.
- Work with research staff and Head of EatSafe Country Programme to support the preparation of materials and planning for meetings and workshops
- Support research translation and dissemination, including but not limited to preparation of presentations and abstracts, technical briefs, journal articles, case studies, success stories, and/or blogs.
- Support in stakeholder engagement processes
- Support the Head of EatSafe Country Programme to ensure that all project activities are completed according to the implementation timeframe and budget,
- Support the Head of EatSafe Country Programme to implement strong project management processes, ensure regular communication with partners and colleagues, and ensure smooth and timely budget disbursements
- Ensures that project research activities and outputs are integrated and aligned with other country programme projects and the country programme strategy
Key Organisational Relationships:
- Reports to the Head of EatSafe Country Programme
- Member of the GAIN Nigeria Country team and the global EatSafe and Knowledge Leadership teams
- Works Finance, HR, IT and Legal teams in representative offices and country offices as required
- Collaborates with project partners and other key external stakeholders as required
- Strong analytical and technical abilities
- Knowledge of research techniques, including both qualitative and quantitative methods
- Data analysis and reporting skills
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Negotiation and advocacy skills
- Ability to manage contractors to deliver high-quality results
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, expert problem solving, and creativity
- Strong communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environment
- Flexible and goal oriented
- IT literate, with excellent MS Office skills; experience with data analysis software such as Stata a plus
- Skilled with organization, planning, and time management
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) – fluency in English required
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work alone and in a team setting
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years related experience
- Experience in food safety research or related research in the food and agriculture space
- Experience overseeing the implementation of research activities; experience with implementing both qualitative and quantitative research would be an advantage
- Experience with diverse research methodologies
- Experience with data analysis, visualization, and reporting
- Experience developing successful partnerships
- Deep understanding of issues related to food safety and quality in Nigeria
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Food Technology, Food Safety, Microbiology, Nutrition, Public Health, Anthropology, Sociology, Economics, or a suitable equivalent.
- A Postgraduate qualification (Master’s Degree) in a relevant discipline will be a strong advantage
- Willingness to travel to implement and oversee EatSafe research activities
What Gain Offers
- Flexible working hours
- Friendly working environment
- Professional development opportunities
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Job Title: Senior Programme Assistant
About the role
- The USAID funded Evidence and Action Towards Safe and Nutritious Food (EATSAFE) programme will be implemented by a consortium led by GAIN.
- Its goal is to generate evidence and knowledge of the potential of increased consumer demand for safe food to substantially improve the safety of nutritious foods in informal market settings and low and middle-income countries.
- The Senior Programme Assistant will ensure smooth and efficient operation of the project by coordinating adminstrative and logisitcal support for all country-based staff.
Role specifics include:
- Cooridnate logisitcs for meetings, events including, but not limited to, transportation, preparing presentations and meeting documents
- Develop and monitor the project-wide deliverable tracker
- Work with the EatSafe Head of Country Programme to edit and finalise report, presentations and pulbications
- Prepare itineraries and briefings for travel
- Ensure project monthly timesheets are completed in a timely and accurate manner
- You will need to be highly organised with a keen eye for detail.
- You should have the ability to coordinate across team internationally and be able to develop strong working relationships to ensure the smooth running of the project.
- To be eligible to apply, you must have demonstrated experience supporting development programmes, NGOs and / or donor funded or related projects.
About our offer
- In addition to a competitive salary, GAIN offers 25 days holiday (in addition to public holidays), flexible working and professional development opportunities.
- We will support you to grow your career and offer this in a supportive, collaborative environment. Additionally, country-specific benefits may apply.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Application Deadline 13th May 2020.