Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for FHI 360 Recruitment for Nutrition Coordinator.
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development an organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Coordinator
Job Code: 202020070
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervisor: Response Coordinator
Employment type: Full Time
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- The nutrition coordinator is responsible for designing, overseeing and coordinating the nutrition programs, as well as liaising with various external partners.
- S/he reports to head of mission, medical and nutrition advisor at headquarters level.
- The panel of activities in a nutrition programs includes: Community based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) approach, Assessments and surveillance interventions (nutrition surveys using ENA for SMART, coverage surveys, sentinel site, LQAS etc.) Infant and Young Child Feeding partners, Capacity building of local partners, community mobilization and research projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Management Of The Nutrition Program:
- Follow up on ongoing analysis of the context.
- Definition, supervision and monitoring of FHI 360 Nutrition programs, in compliance with international and national guidelines and in coherence with identified humanitarian needs.
- Design and ensure the use of monitoring tools.
- Ensure compliance of programs in terms of achieving objectives in current grants.
- Provision of continuous guidance and technical support.
- Management and evaluation of nutrition program team; elaboration their position description.
- Provision of technical and organizational support and trainings to the nutrition program team.
- Compilation, analysis and feedback on monthly reports from the nutrition program team.
- Ongoing communication with nutrition advisor in HQs.
- Technical input in donor reporting.
Representation and Internal / External Communication:
- Coordination with other technical departments at the coordination level (Health, Food Security and Livelihood, Water Sanitation and Hygiene, Protection and Support service team).
- Represent FHI 360 at national and regional level in nutrition and health technical meetings.
- Participate in the external coordination with nutrition partners and governmental bodies and provide technical support and guidance in the nutrition sub-committee and cluster, where relevant.
- Develop strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensure the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels. Manage efficient and effective operations of assigned Unit.
- Liaise as appropriate with donor institutions; international organizations; government counterparts; and implementing agencies to share information and plan collaboration.
- Ensure appropriate and timely technical support to field programs.
- Ensure that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B Nurse, Nutrition and Dietetics or similar degree with 9 – 11 years’ relevant experience in management of nutrition in humanitarian relief settings
- or MS/MA/MPH in Nursing, Public Health, Nutrition and Dietetics or related field, and 7 – 9 years relevant experience in management of nutrition in humanitarian relief settings
- MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar degree with 5 to 7 years of progressive relevant experience in management of nutrition in humanitarian relief settings
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent inter-personal, communications and representative skills (written, oral, cross-cultural).
- Ability to work with multi-cultural teams.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally at least 25%.
- Knowledge of nutritional health and humanitarian programs in emergency situations.
- Nutritional management and IYCF experience and ability to understand full range of issues around the clinical management of SAM.
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting, including government and non-government settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding CMAM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
- This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
- FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself