Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for Federal Ministry of Science and Technology Talented Young Scientists of Nigeria Programme 2019. The Application deadline is 7th September 2019.
The Federal Ministry of Science & Technology is a Nigerian ministry whose mission is to facilitate the development and deployment of science and technology apparatus to enhance the pace of socio-economic development of the country through appropriate technological inputs into productive activities in the nation.
Title: Talented Young Scientists of Nigeria (TYSON) Programme
Talented Young Scientists of Nigeria (TYSON) is an annual event instituted by the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, aimed at giving award to support graduates of Tertiary Institutions in the areas of Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Mathematics and Environmental Sciences with first class Honours at the University level. This will encourage undergraduates who are pursuing their careers in the fields of Science and Technology to put more effort so as to come out with the best result at the end of their studies. The programme will in turn support the emergence of a knowledge driven economy envisaged for the country.
The main objectives of TYSON are to:
- Improve Science, Industry and Academic partnership;
- Facilitate the development of Smart Technology companies;
- Produce a pool of dedicated Scientists, Technologists and Engineers with international competence;
- Lay the foundation that will enable Nigerian Scientists / Engineers proffer solutions to continental and world problems;
- Create a platform for Nigerian Scientists in the future to become renowned Noble Laureates in Medicine, Chemistry and Physics.
- Retain 1st Class graduates of Science / Engineering in the Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) profession;
- Forge friendship among future Nigerian graduates of Science and Technology and encourage networking;
- Foster long term national cooperation among Research and Tertiary Institutions;
All Graduates of Tertiary Institutions (Universities/Polytechnics) with First Class Honours /Distinction in the areas of Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Medicine, Environmental Sciences and other related courses from 2016-2018. The following challenges being faced by the STI sector in Nigeria over the years are being posed for the participants to proffer solutions using STI approaches:
- Non- Commercialization of Research & Development results,
- Non-Utilization of Nuclear Technology to eradicate malaria in Africa,
- Non-Utilization of renewable technology to address food storage in the rural areas,
- Non-utilization of Bioresources to address health challenges.
Candidates are also expected to give a short brief on their proposed solutions (not more than 1000 words).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: Please indicate your area of interest of proffering solution(s). Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate.
For enquiries, please contact:
Assistant Director (STEM),
Department of Science and Technology Promotion
Phone No.: +2348036810150
Application Deadline; 7th September 2019.