Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development Recruitment 2020. The Application deadline is 29th July 2020.
The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) has obtained a credit from the International Development Association-IDA (the “Bank”). This credit will be used to implement activities that will catalyze the process of economic diversification through the mining sector.
The implementing agent MMSD, through the Mineral Sector Support Economic Diversification Project, intends to apply part of the proceeds for eligible payments under the contract for the engagement of the position below:
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultants for the Local Capacity Building on Environmental Management for Regulators and Practitioners in the Nigerian Mining Sector
REOI Reference No: NG-MINDIVER-l39-CS-QCBS
Project ID No: P159761
Project: Mineral Sector Support For Economic Diversification (Mindiver) Project
- The implementing agent MMSD, through the Mineral Sector Support Economic Diversification Project, intends to apply part of the proceeds for eligible payments under the contract for the engagement of a Consultant for the Local Capacity Building on Environmental Management for Regulators And Practitioners in the Nigerian Mining Sector to which this request for expression of interest is issued.
The Consulting firm is required to:
- Organize and conduct workshops for the environmental regulators, mining operators and accredited environmental consultants; and
- Organize local training programme for MEC Technical Staff of the Ministry in pollution control, waste management, land degradation mines closure and remediation plans and climate mitigation approaches with the view to enhancing their proficiencies
This assignment covers the following scope to achieve the objectives of the Consultancy:
- Review the existing legal and regulatory frameworks on environmental and social issues in mining.
- Based on the existing framework, establish a model for synergy among FMEnv, MEC and NESREA to be presented at a workshop for adoption for implementation in Jos, Plateau State.
- Assess the mining practice in Nigeria and conduct a workshop on best mining practices, with regard to safer mining and pollution-free mines-field for 120 Mineral Titles Holders in each of the six geo-political zones of the country.
- Conduct a capacity enhancement workshop for environmental consultants for effective preparation of statutory Environmental Protection and rehabilitation Program (EPRP), Fuel Storage Plan (FSP), Mine Closure and Decommissioning Plan (MCDP) and Community Development Agreement (CDA) in Abuja, Nigeria, using the extant guidelines and other pertinent tools.
- Organize 4 local training programmes for 60 technical staff of the Mines Environmental Compliance (MEC) Department in the following areas:
- Mines Pollution Control, Environmental Management, Environmental Auditing Waste Management, Effective compliance monitoring and enforcement approaches, and Climate change mitigation practices.
- Organize study for 12 MEC Staff to Ghana to understudy environmental management of artisanal mining operations. This should include visits to relevant authorities in charge of artisanal mining and environment and at least 4 anisanal mine sites.
- Conduct Strategic Environmental Assessment for the development of low-carbon minerals in Nigeria and render technical assistance for domesticating climate-smart mining in Nigeria.
- Develop a set of environmental instruments for monitoring and appraising environmental performance of artisanal mining operations in Nigeria.
- Organize study tour for 10 MEC Staff to Ethiopia on sustainable Gold ore mining and processing. Arrangement should be made to visit at least 3 Gold mines and 3 Gold ore processing sites.
- Conduct vulnerability assessment of climate change on mining in Nigeria and recommend appropriate mitigation measures.
Note: The implementation period for this activity shall be Nine (9) Months.
The Expression of Interests (EOJs) shortlisting criteria are:
- General listing of projects experiences for the last ten years, including the completed and the on-going projects and their value.
- Specific description of the similar assignments in the last ten years (Firm must include verifiable evidence of work done e.g, Job completion Certificate, Letter of Award of contract etc.)
- Specific experience in countries with similar conditions as Nigeria
- The firm Organisation structure, i.e. human resources, adequacy of the staff to perform the technical tasks components. (ONLY Permanent and Management Staff are evaluated here)
Note: For each project performed in the above criteria (I and II), the consultant shall provide the name and contact address of the client (office & e-mail address, and telephone number), date (s) of execution, name (s) of lead and associate firms, contract amount.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates/firms should submit their Expression of Interest in both hard copies and electronically to the address below:
The Project Coordinator,
Mineral Sector Support for Economic Diversification Project (MinDiver),
10, Lola Close, Off Luanda Crescent, Off Ademola Adetokunbo Crescent,
Wuse II, Abuja, Nigeria.
Tel: 234 092340644
Selection of the Consulting Firm:
- A Consulting firm will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost Based Selection (QCBS) Selection Method procedures in the Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Bonnwers (July2016) Procurement Regulations revised in November 2017 and August 2018 available on www.worldbank.org/procure
Important Information / Notice
- Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub-consultancy to enhance their qualifications. Where firms are associating the submission must include verifiable evidence of association from all the parties.
- Interested Consultants may obtain further clarifications during office hours (8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday-Friday) at the address above.
- In carrying out the expected tasks, the adviser is expected to collaborate with the MMSD and its relevant departments and agencies.
For more details, The Terms of reference (FOR) for the assignment may be assessed on
Application Deadline 29th July 2020 at 11:00 am.