Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for British Council Recruitment for Commercial Manager. The Application deadline is 11th March, 2019.
The British Council is a British organization specializing in international cultural and educational opportunities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Commercial Manager
Role Type: BD, Opportunity & Pursuit
Pay Band: Pay band 7
Reports to: Director, Exams
- The purpose of this role is to develop the 2-3-year Large Country Commercial plan, drawing together Regional targets, market insights and market intelligence to agree priorities and focus with Country Business Development and input into the 3-5-year Regional Commercial Strategy.
- This role is ultimately responsible for overseeing Demand Planning for the country, assessing and monitoring quality of pipeline fill, commercial viability, sales forecasting and capacity fill.
- The role also ensures the development/tailoring of solutions/value propositions to meet market needs in conjunction with Country Operations Manager and Regional Commercial Manager.
- Co-ordinates support for the development of large-scale tenders and manages contract governance, where applicable. Handles venue negotiation and pricing in country.
- The English and Examinations Strategic Business Unit (E&E) is one of three strategic business units in the British Council (the others being Arts and Education & Society) all of which have the remit to build trust for the people of the UK by building relationships through aspects of our language and culture.
- E&E achieves this by enabling people across the world to access the life-changing education and work opportunities that are created by learning English or gaining valuable UK qualifications.
- Promoting the English language also provides a medium for communication, helping break down barriers of misunderstanding or mistrust between cultures.
- The British Council’s 2020 vision for English & Examinations is to be the world authority in high quality English language teaching, learning and assessment, as well as the International distributor of choice for UK professional and school qualifications.
- The Examinations business makes a significant contribution to British Council financial sustainability, and as such, it is essential that the business evolves in order to maintain its position in a fast-changing operating context.
- There is a need to standardise and automate activities across the globe to deliver efficiencies, and there is also a requirement to develop new digital products and services to meet changing customer demands and competitive pressures.
- In a cost and resource-constrained environment, balancing the on-going requirements and allocation of funds will be critical, as will the integration and planning of the implementation of the different changes across a global network of 110+ countries charged with the on-going delivery of impact and income whilst changing key elements of the supporting operational platform.
Main opportunities/challenges for this role:
- Working in a new discipline across a complex business, working with the Country Operations Team, Country Head of Business Development and Regional Commercial Development Manager to set up commercial and demand planning processes, new ways of working,
- Harnessing insightful market data on specific segment /opportunities
- Managing pipeline and performance reporting
- Adapting to shifting conditions in the commercial environment in the cluster
- Handling in-country commercial negotiations with external venues for exam delivery
- Support business planning under upcoming new Status and Tax regulations for Nigeria
- Develops Country BD & Sales Strategy cross product/segment
- Works with Country Team and Regional Commercial Development Manager on detailed Commercial Plan, undertakes regular quality checks, provides feedback and implements plans and targets for products/services relative to Market need with Commercial Development Manager as primary focus is business pursuit.
- Put in place contract governance that aligns with Global requirements, assess commercial feasibility and review exceptions.
- Define the physical footprint strategy (what, to whom, where at what cost) with input from BD/Exams leads, Marketing and Head of Operations
- Put in place right technical support and contract management for large scale tenders working with Regional Commercial Manager (when applicable)
- Monitor and make recommendations for pricing strategy. Monitor economic environment and FX changes. Provide data and insight to global client and pricing teams. Work with local finance team on analysis
- Develop and support venue strategy and management. Provide technical support to Operations Planning team.
- Supports Director Exams in Exams business plan country actions to meet (monthly, quarterly, annual) agreed targets.
- Contributes to the development and delivery of customised, local business development initiatives
- Pull together the Commercial picture, short lists opportunities and validate, monitor & report on pipeline plan and performance.
Market & customer intelligence:
- Pulls together and provides Customer and Market intelligence to identify opportunities and works to prioritise lead generation
- Assesses and develops footprint strategy (what/where/when/who) and handover to Head of Operations
- Keeps updated and has extensive knowledge of the market from both a supply and demand perspective.
- Analyses clients’ needs and tailors value propositions with expert support where needed. Input into Global Innovation and Business Development strategies working with Regional Commercial Manager
- Advises and enables country commercial to pursue key commercial activities and removes obstacles. Highlights any issues of non-compliance
- Develops proposals and large scale tenders drawing from Regional Commercial Development Manager
- Put in place the Global Demand Planning framework in Country & embeds consistent, effective Demand Planning practices integrated with Operations and adjacent supporting functions;
- Oversees capacity fill and requirements to increase Demand
- Develops tangible income generating plans and opportunity shortlists based on market intelligence and Marketing Insights/Analytics.
- Assesses commercial feasibility and Contract governance up to certain level including contract approval escalation with input from Finance on Cost modelling
Account & stakeholder management:
- Business Pursuit, RO influencing, networking and key account relationships plan and delivery agreed with Country Lead and with CD/BC colleagues on shared opportunities
- Identifies and shares examples of process/procedural best practice with colleagues in the country/region to drive continuous improvement in key account management and stakeholders.
Analysis & Reporting:
- Undertakes Commercial and demand reporting to the Region
- Provides B2B/Sales forecast at cluster level, actively manages pipeline and drives demand in year and for the following year.
- Builds effective working relationships, and a range of information-gathering techniques, to maintain a full and current understanding of product/programme/sector developments and priorities.
Leadership & management:
- Motivates and encourages team performance.
- Plans and prioritises country’s operational activities, and supports team development towards effective business development.
- Manage day to day performance of team, dealing with sickness, discipline, motivation etc., to ensure high quality service delivery is maintained at all times (tbc on direct reports)
- Shares intelligence and ideas with Country Exams lead and Regional colleagues
- Exams Operational Teams, Business Development Managers
- Head of Business Development, Director Exams, Country Director and Senior Leadership Team
- Regional Commercial Manager
- Customer Services
- Exams Regional Management Team
- Other Nigeria SBUs
- Country/Regional/Global Marketing
- Global Exams Product teams
- Status and Tax Project Team
- Country and Regional (B2B/C/G) partners, agencies, receiving organisations (RO’s),regulators and key partners in BC tests
Threshold requirements – Assessment stage
- Passport requirements/ Right to work in country: You must have existing rights to live and work where role is based.
- Ability to work in the region without restrictions: Shortlisting
- Direct contact or managing staff working with children?: No: N/a
Person Specification: Assessment stage
Minimum / essential – Desirable – Assessment Stage:
- Commercial and Financial Planning experience and experience working in a relevant field
- Degree in any subject or relevant qualification
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience
Minimum / essential – Desirable – Assessment Stage:
- Significant experience of conducting demand planning processes and pipeline management.
- Contract management and developing bids, costing and pricing for large scale opportunities
- Market research and horizon scanning of sector
- Experience in exams setting (or services related field)
- Experience in contract negotiation
- Working with regulatory bodies and building and maintaining stakeholder relationships
- Demonstrated analytical ability and commercial acumen
Role Specific Skills (if any)- Assessment Stage:
- Shortlisting AND Interview
British Council Core Skills – Assessment Stage:
- Communicating and influencing (level 3). Is creative and adaptable in communications
- Able to use a range of non-standard and creative approaches to inform, and persuade others, extending beyond logical argument to influence decisions and actions in a way which is inclusive and engaging.
- Managing projects (level 3). Leads smaller projects
- Commercial and business development (level 3) Develops viable business
- Defines and develops products/programmes/services which deliver British Council goals on impact, income and surplus within a defined area of business that responds to market opportunities and aligns to wider corporate strategies.
- Account and partnership management (level 3) Builds account teams
- Identifies and deploys teams of British Council staff whose attributes match the stakeholder/ customer/partner’s needs, and adapting proposals to accommodate the needs of the other party.
- Analyses requirements with the sponsor/stakeholders, defining the specification with awareness of equality and diversity impact, planning, revising, implementing and evaluating on small-to-medium scale and/or low risk projects
- Finance and resource management (level 3) Supports budget management Monitors and controls an agreed budget within a defined area, producing reports and analyses and contributing to planning.
British Council Behaviours: Assessment Stage
- Creating shared purpose (more demanding):
- Working together (more demanding):
- Ensuring that others benefit as well as me
- Being accountable (more demanding):
- Putting the needs of the team or British Council ahead of my own – Interview.
- Creating energy and clarity so that people want to work purposefully together
- Connecting with others (more demanding):
- Actively appreciating the needs and concerns of myself and others
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- You should only fill out the application after thoroughly reading through the entire Role Profile & Guidance Notes.
- As this is a business critical role, applicants that do not include examples that meet minimum requirements will not be shortlisted.
- Details of any mobility package provided (if applicant is eligible) – International mobility package:
- If you are currently on a UK contract you will receive the UK home–based mobility package (IMP).
- If you are currently employed on a country contract other than a UK contract, you will also receive a mobility package if moving to another country. The details of the mobility package and where it is paid will depend on a number of factors including your current home country and the new country location you are intending to move to – it may be that you remain on your current home country contract or transfer to a host county contract.
- All mobility packages will include accommodation, education for children (if the posting allows accompanying families) and transfer assistance.
- No mobility package is paid:
- if you are returning or moving to your home location nor
- if you are not currently on a mobility package and you are changing to a new role within the same country nor
- if you are moving to the UK
Application Deadline 25th August, 2019 (23:59 UK time)