Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified graduates for African Development Bank Group (AfDB) Recruitment for Fragility & Resilience Assistant. The application deadline is 14th February 2020.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) or Banque Africaine de Développement (BAD) is a multilateral development finance institution. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund. The AfDB’s mission is to fight poverty and improve living conditions on the continent through promoting the investment of public and private capital in projects and programs that are likely to contribute to the economic and social development of the region. The AfDB is a financial provider to African governments and private companies investing in the regional member countries (RMC). While it was originally headquartered in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, the bank’s headquarters moved to Tunis, Tunisia, in 2003, due to the Ivorian civil war; before returning in September 2014.
Job Title: Fragility & Resilience Assistant
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
The Hiring Department/Division
- These pressures are making every single African country more vulnerable. RDTS aims to place the Bank at the center of Africa’s efforts to address fragility and pave the way for a more resilient and inclusive development trajectory.
- A major part of RDTS’ activities involves the identification of the main drivers of fragility, including economic, social, political and environmental dimensions, and how the Bank’s programs and projects can contribute to equity and inclusive development. Central to RDTS engagement is the systematic application of a fragility lens to identify, respond to and prevent fragility and to build resilience and focus the Bank’s engagement in the areas where it can have the biggest impact.
- The Transition States Coordination Office (RDTS) is responsible for leading and implementing African Development Bank Group (the Bank) Strategy for Addressing Fragility and Building Resilience in its Regional Member Countries. It coordinates the Bank’s work on addressing fragility and building resilience, including activities of all fragility and resilience professionals stationed in the various Regional Hubs or Country Offices. Over the past decade, Africa has seen enormous growth and transformation that has expanded opportunities and improved living conditions for millions of people. More than two-thirds of African countries have strengthened their quality of governance, improved basic services, and expanded economic opportunities. Yet, there are significant risks that this momentum could be undermined by important pressures—continuing patterns of exclusion and poverty, unemployment, high migration, rapid urbanization, climate change and poor management of natural resources—that threaten to overwhelm existing institutional capacities for managing political, economic, social and environmental challenges.
- Act as focal point for the Department and follow up on matters relating to dissemination of the Bank’s work on Fragility and Resilience.
- Maintain records of the Department’s activities.
- Perform any other duties reasonably requested by management.
- The Fragility and Resilience Assistant is required to work with a high degree of tact and sensitivity for confidential and strategic issues. The incumbent will be required to support the Department on its work related to fragility and resilience. Specific tasks would include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide a wide range of assistance to the Fragility and Resilience Team in implementing its work program.
Duties and responsibilities
- Participate in the preparation of multiple events involving RDTS and support in the organization and coordination of meetings with other departments and complexes and with external clients and partners;
- Assist with the procurement of services and supplies for events through requests for quotations and their assessment;
- Perform any other reasonably justified task requested by management.
- Support the analytical work undertaken by the Fragility and Resilience Team;
- Support the experts in discussions and negotiations with potential partners in order to foster business relationships with the Bank;
- Provide support in the management of the Transition States Coordination Office webpage and share drive and contribute to the dissemination of reports related to the Bank’s activities in addressing fragility and building resilience;
Skills, Experience, and Knowledge:
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of experience in a relevant area;
- Good planning skills, with excellent levels of initiative, organization, and leadership.
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or BAC+4 or Maitrise in Administration, Project Management or other related disciplines;
- Client orientation;
- Communication and Intercultural sensitivity;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP;
- Organizational skills, ability to multitask, and attention to detail;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language
- Ability to understand and follow instructions from Management;
- Ability to provide support to Management and Task Managers;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Application Deadline 14th February, 2020.